Light, Fluffy and Rich Pancakes
- 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Butter or grapeseed or other neutral oil as needed
- Beat together the ricotta or cottage cheese, sour cream or yogurt and egg yolks. Combine baking soda, flour, salt and sugar. Beat egg whites until fairly stiff but not dry.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat while you finish batter. Stir flour mixture into cheese mixture, blending well but not beating. Stir in lemon juice and zest, then gently fold in beaten egg whites; they should remain somewhat distinct in batter.
- Add about 1 tablespoon butter or oil to griddle or skillet and coat surface. When it is hot, add batter by the heaping tablespoon, making sure to include some egg white in each spoonful. Cook until lightly browned on bottom, 3 to 5 minutes, then turn and cook second side. Serve immediately.
Like this Recipe? Check out #TheNewYorkTimes for more; The New York Times